Wednesday, March 14, 2012

raw, sprouted buckwheat granola


Candice and I are gorging ourselves on raw, sprouted buckwheat granola. I made a batch the night before I left town for Salt Lake and brought a giant bag for Candice, friends, and general snacking.
It is so addictive due to the delightful crunch of the buckwheat.
Adam's mom brought some delicious granola from Ithaca, NY when she came to visit for Elliott's blessing in September. It reminded me of granola my raw food friends used to make (did you know I ate only raw food for 9 months?!) so I set to work recreating a recipe to satisfy my craving.
It turned out a little different than the one Adam's mom brought, but very delicious none the less.
Here is "my" recipe:
2 cups soaked and sprouted buckwheat (soak 24 hours, sprout 2 days)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
Combine above ingredients in a bowl.
Then, in a blender (VitaMix), make a thick sauce from the following ingredients:
10 dates (or more)
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
dash cinnamon
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp water
Stir the sauce into the seed mixture; then, spread on dehydrating sheets and dry for 15 hours (or more) until crispy. Break into pieces and store in a glass container.
Snack on it plain or with milk or yogurt.

No comments: