Sunday, March 6, 2011

bathing suit bottoms

Before I went to California last week, I made some bathing suit bottoms. I didn't end up needing them, but you never know....
I used a free underwear pattern I found on BurdaStyle.com uploaded by "emilykate."
I like the pattern a lot. The bottoms are cut as one piece with a single seam in the back. An (in my opinion) optional waistband can be made from a second piece. I used some bathing suit lining fabric from a previous project, but you could also line with the same or another bathing suit material to make them reversible.
The pattern came in only one size, so I added in about 2 inches (to each side) since I have a big bootie and I'm pregnant. I plan to make these again soon and add another inch or 3/4 inch. The pattern was also intended to be "cheeky" underwear, but the rear could be easily adapted to your desired degree of coverage. Here, I extended the coverage about 1/2 inch on each side.

I bought my fabric at the Patagonia Outlet in Salt Lake City. They were selling some kind of bag with a tie (above) as a way to use up their bathing suit fabric scraps (I guess) but at $3 each they are a steal for the home sewer. I loved the elephant print and it went well with plain brown.

1 comment:

Andra Ingebretsen said...

these are adorable! I LOVE that you did that. I have been looking for a swim suit myself and think it is so cool that you just think to make one yourself! Where did you get the fabric?