I've been culturing!
I got the spring buzz a few weeks ago and started growing out some of my cultures that had been in storage for 2 1/2 years....
It was great because it coincided with the UW Farm starting a "fungi on the farm" committee, which I joined, of course.
*I grew these on a medium of oatmeal agar and Bacto agar (an antibacterial).
Here are a few photos:
Pleurotus pulmonarus, the Phoenix Oyster
Hericium erinaceus, the Lion's Mane
and Pleurotus ostreatus, the Oyster, or Tree Oyster
Once the cultures were healthy and strong, I mixed sawdust and spent beer grains about 50/50 and added water.
I sterilized this mixture in autoclavable bags, and allowed to cool. This took longer than expected.
Then, I set in small chunks of the mycelium, cut directly from their dish and zip-tied the bags closed.
I had a helper :)
Now, we wait.