Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Injera

Tonight was the culminating feast of the last 4 days of yeast bubbling, spice grinding kitchen prep.
Homemade Ethiopian Feast!

Adam and I have had Ethiopian/Eritrean food several times here in Seattle and we love it.
I recently came across a vegetarian recipe website that had a section on Ethiopian food. The recipes worked great and everything was delicious. It totally tasted like what we have had in restaurants.
So, there are two main spicing ingredients to prepare: Niter Kebbeh (spiced butter) and Berbere (spice mix). These you can use in many recipes.
Making Niter Kebbeh (spiced butter)

Strained Niter Kebbeh (spice butter) ready to use

The Injera is a sourdough "crepe" used as a plate and you can dip and wrap pieces of the injera around bits of stew when eating with your hands. Don't forget to begin making this at least 3 days before you want to eat it :)
Basically, I made everything on that Ethiopian page (above link). To have more variety, I made the Yemiser W'et (lentil stew) less spicy than the Yetakelt W'et (veggie stew) by omitting the extra paprika and cumin.
After making these recipes, I feel like I could easily incorporate the spiced butter or spice mix into other homemade meals to make the tastiest food :)
I love Ethiopian food!
Also, when I cooked the injera, I saved about 1/2 cup to start another batch. We can't wait for it to get ready!

2 comments:

Briana said...

Yummy!

Kate said...

OH MY! We love Ethiopian food too. We are going to have to give this a try!